Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Valerie Hegarty - Different and Beautiful Art

Check out the art below, it's a  mixture of sculpturing and painting talents (since she actually paints all of the paintings here). The artist name is Valerie Hegarty (click on her name to see her website ; ) and I think that her art is quite fabulous. Most of her art is the type that you would see in a museum rather than the average person's home considering that most of it is large, not very movable, or a photograph. Still impressive work and extremely creative, bold, and different. And that is why it is here. ( :

Autumn on the Wissahickon with Tree is the name of this beauty.  There is so  much here, it's so daring!  Like listening to a wild piece of classical music and loving it for the composer's boldness. How can you not love a piece that has a  tree running across it? The tree being cleverly semi-camouflaged with paint a little here a little there. The leaves and chipped paint on the floor really adds to the fall effect. I love the dripping paint all over the wall with brown hues, gray, and a minty green


  I like the white in this one with accents of rusty and old browns and greens. Beautifully done. Three bullet holes in the wall with two dripping. But what are they dripping  Since  I am sure that walls don't drip ( ; I must assume that it is paint and that is a very lovely addition to the work. The name of it is Paul Revere Tea Set.
Name: Seascape: Bust with Boards. Off with his head! Well, I guess that I will start off with the backdrop on this one since it is interesting. Starting from the left end of the photo. A partially flattened soda can (I am now wondering what type of soda can it is). Second, two small slabs of wood placed beside each other one shorter and wider, the other taller and more narrow they are very worn looking and dark which is a nice contrast with the mostly white photo. Last, the framed painting with wood that matches the the previously mentioned slabs. I can't see the painting very well but from what I can observe it's very nice. The drips of what may be dust or a light colored transparent paint dripped along the glass. I am not sure why those wires are there neither am I sure what it is that they are attached to but I still like how that hang over the painting. The statue is very nicely accented with age and color as the one above it and is , of course, headless. ;) Let us not leave out the bullet hole at the top right corner of the wall that is dripping that special "insulation blood" up there. I like this one a lot.

First Harvest in the Wilderness with Woodpecker. As you may have noticed, this woodpecker is a very naughty boy. Who does he think he is? Waltzing through here pecking up stuff! Breaking glass and taking names. Woodpecker style ;). Haha, anyways, I thought that this one was very creative and it must have been fun to make. Plus that cute little guy looks real.



Cathedral. Reminds me of antlers. It's a little dark like the front of a haunted house in an old horror film. I like the colors the black and that honey flavored brown. It's quite the gorgeous hue. Sharing its glorious paint job with the white wall behind it.

In the Woods of the Woods. This one starts off like your very average ripped up painting (hehe there is no such thing) then takes a walk on the wild side... literally. Fantastic idea. The foliage on the ground truly adds to the wildness of this piece. I appreciate this artist making her ideas into a reality for all to admire.
 How do I describe this one in one word ... hmmm Burnt! :) The whole painting is swerved and that fits very nicely with the actual painting's style.  It is interesting to see that it melted instead of burning as I would assume paper would. I would have to call this one awesome because I don't really find it pretty but I still like it and love the idea of it.
Autumn on the Hudson Valley with Branches. This would be the first work of Valerie Hergaty that caught my eye. Great work. A very large painting that dies in the middle but lives again with autumn trees. The snow is a wonderful effect. I wonder if this is close to her studio or house. Autumn all the way through from the painting to the trees on the end this is Autumn.
Again but with a head on view with a little distance. I suppose that it doesn't really matter which way you look at it, it's always going to be beautiful. I love the little snow pockets that have collected onto the parts of this art that juts out.
In the sun you can see this piece in a different way. I must comment on the rusty metal that curves itself showing off here and there, what a lovely color! 
Side view! In the sunshine : ). The placing of this piece is fabulous. I love the wire wall that it is on. You can see that on the end it curves so I am guessing that it curves on the opposing end also. That closed in feel creates a mood when you are observing something as spectacular as this.

Still Burning. I do believe that this name was coined because of the way that the bright red favored colors seem to creep up the painting as flame does while on the painting is actually burnt. Very nice. I love the shade of red here. And the frame beneath is very pretty looking being  90% burnt  and all. :)
Homer's Driftwood This one is definitely one of my favorites for it's mossy green colors and  for the way that it was burned ; not too much around the edges, more so inside of the frame rather than outside of it, and the burnt holes I like simply because you know that it was intentional and required a bit more effort than the more spontaneous style of burning.
Seascape: Washington Crossing Delaware (Excavated)  In case you were wondering (like I was ) The word Excavated is a verb and it means ; to make a hole or to make hollow by digging or removing materiel. Which makes sense when you take a look at this work of art. The dangling ropes, rotting wood, dripping paint (a little very dark paint dripping on the walls here and there), and general darkness of the hidden painting make this very appealing.
Open Cube with Flowers This piece could have been dark but the pick flowers brighten it. I have a strong appreciation for a small brightness in dark art it can be very moving and beautiful if done correctly. It looks as if the branch is trying to push itself out of the wood. It has been slowly and quietly growing there and is now ready to be seen with pink flowers.
Season's End I love how bright and dark colors can bring out the best features in each other if placed tastefully. Which is the case in these "non-picture picture frame" Again it starts out looking somewhat normal and the gradually increases into something wilder. Very nice touch adding the leaves on the the branches. Not too many not too little for this particular piece of art.
A closer view at that colorful stuff hanging  form the work above in case you were wondering what it looked like a little closer (I certainly was). A very pretty choice of blue a little green and brown there. Gorgeous and torn.


Harpoon. The wall is bleeding again! I swear the walls here are living and breathing with a mind of their own. This one  is awesome! How could you NOT love the idea of a giant harpoon being thrown? I like how the rope is formed on the floor somewhat sloppy but still contained it's rather dirty which is better than it being clean for a photo like this. I love the design on that fireplace. Black with some extra character, superb.


Driftwood Painting This work is here because I love the two rusty cans (possibly cans, maybe paint cans?) that this Driftwood Painting is propped up on.  The golden rust on the cans matches somewhat with the gold on the upper half of  the frame of the the painting. It brings harmony. I like the three piece of wood on the left of the painting two standing  one being more perfect in shape than the other and not looking as worn, and one face down on the ground

Ghost Ship. Yes, Davy Jones is near .... No, I'm kidding. I haven't seen this painting without it being partly scorched but judging from what I can see  I would have to say that this looks much better scorched than it did untried by fire. First off this painting is tilted which is fantastic because this IS an ocean painting, right? Doesn't the tilt here add a more ghostly storm element to the entire painting to you? The burning does the same thing. Excellent choice in burning the sails the way that they were burned, it looks very real. The green tinge added throughout this painting is fantastic it really says "ghost". I am very impressed with this one. Excellent job, Ms. Hergaty!

Landscaping. This one is interesting. I see the dark room below, considering the glass squares it is probably a green house, and I see this lone tree pushing above and out of his surroundings in search of new light. The funny thing is that, by breaking this glass first he has made it easier for others to follow after him. I really love the glass here it's foggy and looks so good with it's framed worn wood with chipping paint. Also the wall on the right is very beautifully chipped and roughed in a satisfying way. 



Very colorful and wild. It reminds me of an abstract painting but without the paint. Ah, but there is that  little part of a painting up there and it looks like some green paint splashed around, so I guess that this isn't completely paintless. I like this one it looks like the wall was cut out from a burning house with pink wallpaper and is now placed here for our amusement.  I like the rich but light color of the wood towards the center of the wall. When it is against that creamy green it does wonders for the eye. This one had no name.


Well that is over and done with! I enjoyed working on this post, it took more than a few days, but I still enjoyed it. Thanks for reading! Thank you to Miss Valerie Hegarty for allowing me to feature her work here in the first place. Oh and here is her website again in case you have more of an interest to see the rest of her work after seeing the little that is displayed here. http://valeriehegarty.com/home.html Valerie Hegarty is represented by Nicelle Beauchene gallery in New York here is the link so that you can check that out
 http://nicellebeauchene.com/artists/valerie-hegarty/

One more thing, in case you wanted to see these works in a more up
 close and personal way,there is going to be a  show in May at the 
Brooklyn museum in 3 of the historic period rooms. Again, there is 
so much to see than what is displayed here so please take the time 
to look into it. :) Bye readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment